Monday, August 13, 2012

RAM Upgrade Try 1

Well, like I mentioned in my last post I got a new netbook PC, and I attempted to upgrade the RAM from 1 gigabyte to 2 gigabytes. This is the story of that lame attempt.

I get this laptop knowing I had an extra stick of laptop memory so I knew I would be able to upgrade it and get it working better than it is supposed to.

I got it home, and within the first hour of messing with it I decided it was time to tear it apart and preform my RAM upgrade.

Well, turns out it wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. I unscrewed a few screws on the back, and they did nothing. I couldn’t find ANY other screws, so I looked up a breakdown of the device.

I then gained the knowledge that I had to pop out some locks around the keyboard with a flathead screwdriver. I tinkered around with that for about 30 minutes and finally figured it out. Got the keyboard off. And revealed a metal panel with many screws in it.

I then proceeded to take out the screws that said “M 2x8 Door” figuring that they were to unlatch the back panel of the laptop revealing the RAM slot. I unscrewed them, like 10 of them. They door was a little more loose now.

With the door at this state I began to gain hope once again.

But I still couldn’t quite get it opened, so I proceeded to remove the remaining screws. About 15 of them.

The door still wasn’t giving.

Then on closer inspection I noticed a little switch that said “Door Lock”.

I wiggled it around with the flathead, and got it loose. I turned the laptop over and finally got the door to come off.

I saw the RAM right away, detached it, and went to find my extra ram.

Got the RAM and tried putting it in.

Didn’t fit. Wasn’t the right kind. I guess I should’ve looked into that before hand, but now I know how to take this thing apart, and I ordered the correct RAM from amazon for about $12.

So when I get that in the mail in a couple of days I’ll be able to get it working like a charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment